On 17th August, 2021, Kalemba, an online news website published a story that claimed that criminals operating under the guise of being members of the newly elected ruling party, the UPND, have in some cases been involved in the illegal acts of destruction and stealing of public and private property across the country. The report states that the alleged criminals attacked those believed to be affiliated to the former ruling Patriotic Front party. The report further alleged that incidences of violence and confusion have been recorded in various markets and bus terminus across the city of Lusaka.
Evidence and References
- ZNBC video coverage of looting at Edgar Chagwa Lungu mall following the declarationg of Mr, Hakainde Hichilema as President Elect
- Election Aftermath Reaction
- Lusaka Intercity Bus Terminal violence
- Diamond TV Report on the destruction of property on the PF Secretariate in Lusaka
- Article-Police Inspector General, Kanganja directs police to stop violence and stealing