On October 5th, 2021, the Candidates Facebook page published a post claiming that the Food Reserve Agency (FRA) – a Government agency mandated with stabilizing food prices through a strategic grain reserve – had stopped buying maize, leaving farmers stranded. The FRA is required to purchase, store, and release equities in the market during times of food crisis and other types of disasters that cause price volatility. Zambia has been experiencing some unexpected rainfall in various regions of the country since October 1st, prompting many farmers with bags of maize stationed at depots to question the agency’s decisions.
Evidence and References
- : Video of damaged bags of Maize at Mapaizya Depot.
- : Statement from the Food Reserve Agency.
- : The 2019-2021 Food Reserve Agency Strategic Plan.
- : Video of FRA Board Chairperson and FRA Chief Executive Director giving their statements on ZNBC TV.
- : Video of Minister of Agriculture giving his statement in Parliament.